Monday, August 16, 2010

A New Era

Since the beginning of college, my life can be divided into very distinct eras.

August 28, 2007 - October 28, 2008: The Party Era
October 28, 2008 - February 4, 2009: The Dating Aaron Era
February 4 - May 22, 2009: The Secretly Pregnant at College Era
May 22 - October 19, 2009: The Waiting for Declan Era
October 19, 2009 - April 30, 2010: The New Mom in Austin Era
April 30 - August 14, 2010: The Cut Off from the World in Iowa Era
August 14 - Present: The Re-Connected Era!

The neighbors gave us their wireless password so we have rejoined the modern world. I am so excited to start blogging again, to share pictures, to keep in touch better... Even the little things like Mapquesting directions, comparison shopping for baby items, and reading the news!

I was able to get online here and there, but with a baby to entertain and / or keep an eye on, I couldn't do much more than check my Facebook and my email. If he was in a really good mood, I might have gotten so ambitious as to Skype someone. But blogging? Posting on forums? Playing games? No way.

And now, I can wait until Declan is napping, or playing independently. No packing up the diaper bag, no walks through the scorching heat, no sitting awkwardly in a public place trying to keep Declan from yelling while I try to connect to unreliable public networks.

Yay!

Long-story-short update:

Declan is almost 10 months old (on the 19th).
He's crawling, clapping, waving bye-bye, saying Mama, Dada, dancing, eating table food, drinking from straws and sippy cups, and cruising around on all of the furniture and walls.
He's had his first haircut, his first busted lip, his first taste of dog food, and his first round of antibiotics.
He even sent his first text message, when Mommy wasn't watching.
He has two teeth (bottom ones) and one on the way (top one, days or hours from busting through the gum).
He loves goldfish, yogurt, macaroni, lima beans, banana, and chicken fingers.
He's in 18 month size clothes and weighs about 25 lbs.
His eyes are almost totally brown, but these still a bit of green, in the right light.

In family news,

I am working full time as a nurse's aide at a local nursing home. I walk 1.5 miles to work at 4:30 every morning except Saturday and Sunday, which are now my favorite days of the week.
Aaron is working 3 pm to 2 am at a factory making wheels. We see each other for less than an hour a day on weekdays.
BUT
We are making good money, paying our bills, and saving up for birthdays and Christmas (when we will be making our big trip to Texas!)
AND
We are thrilled to not have to put Declan in daycare. And honestly, as hard as my job is, it's been really beneficial for me to be forced to be a "real" person - one who gets dressed, showers regularly, and interacts with other adults on a daily basis.
ALSO
We have a dog named Bruce. He's a 1.5 year old Springer Spaniel. He's hyper and jittery and always underfoot, but he's also great with Declan and a generally good boy. I s'pose we'll keep him.

So that's that! I hope from here on out you'll be getting regular updates and pictures from me. Crossing my fingers that the neighbors don't move before we do!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! If only I could change the font to huge to show my true excitement that you have reentered the internet world!!!!YAY! Love you, miss you, and can't wait to read more!