Friday, December 10, 2010

CRUNNNNNCH Time

That "CRUNNNNNCH" was the sound of the stress-monster gnawing on my head.

In the next two weeks, Aaron and I have to:

-finish Christmas shopping
-get married
-go to two doctors' appointments
-pack all of our belongings
-move said belongings to new house
-clean up our old, filthy, messy house
-unpack stuff at new house
-pack for austin
-work 176 hours between the two of us
-drive to Kansas City with an almost-fourteen-month-old who hates riding in his carseat
-fly to Austin with an almost-fourteen-month-old who hates sitting in our laps

And it's such a paradox, because I am SO EXCITED!!! for all of these things, but at the same time, I'm dreading having all of them put together.

I guess that's the thing about the holidays. As a kid, you're like, "No school! Yeah! Cookies! Yeah!" But as an adult (especially as a working parent), it's just "I have no money, but I have to buy presents. I have no time, but I have to do a bunch of extra stuff. I have no energy, but I have to be jolly. Great."

Don't get me wrong, I freakin' love Christmas. Seriously. It's my favorite. ("I just like to smile! Smiling's my favorite!" "Make work your favorite. That's your new favorite.")

Christmas has just taken on a whole new facet, now that we have to travel - and by have to I don't mean "UGH. I guess we have to." I mean, "We do not have an option. It's Christmas, and we HAVE TO be in Austin. Duh."

Another new facet - the MONEY! Dear God, presents get pricey when you add them all up. Yeah a $15 might not sound like much, but when you have 25 people to buy for? That's $375! Besides, not everyone gets a $15 present. So you're lookin' at a good $450 when it's all said and done.

Sidenote: My dear, darling cousin Becky just shaved a significant amount off of that number! I luff her!

Anyway, enough complaining. This is my fave holiday. The smell of Christmas trees, sparkling ornaments, yummy food, cider, COOKIES, and most of all, family and friends. I cannot wait to give every one of my family members GIANT hugs. And to sit around the table with them, playing a very enthusiastic game of Apples to Apples. And to fit as many cousins & siblings as we can on Grandma's couch. And to drink wine (legally!) and give Declan his first tastes of macaroons, pecan balls, gingerbread, bourbon balls (NOT, haha, those are for ME!). Maybe even cheese cookies! Please, Mom? :)

No comments: