Friday, December 18, 2009

A Bucket o' Fuss

Turns out we're going to have a white Christmas after all. Aaron, Declan and I are headed to Iowa on Monday (!!!) and staying for a week.

Here's what I'm excited about: Declan meeting the rest of his family, visiting friends, the first 5 minutes of playing in snow.

Here's what I'm dreading: The rest of the week of snow, being cooped up in a strange house with people I've only met once or twice, the two 18-hour car rides with a two-month-old.

I'm also anxious about being back in Grinnell in general. Seeing the grocery store where we used to buy snacks and liquor, the library where I spent way too much time on Facebook and not enough time writing my papers, the fields where I built snow-forts in the winter and got a tan in the spring. Sometimes I think,"I should be there right now, in my dorm room, packing to go on winter break. Not wiping spit-up off of myself and changing poopy diapers." But then my sweet baby smiles, and there's nowhere I'd rather be. The degree will come, one way or another. But Declan is one-of-a-kind, and I love him way more than I ever loved college. So... there.

Declan will officially be two months old tomorrow! I can't believe it's been two months since I held that tiny, squishy, purple newborn. Now he is a little man, with opinions. Squishy newborns just sleep all day, and you can dress them in different outfits, and snuggle when you feed them... Little opinionated two-month-olds do not stand for playing dress up, or taking naps. But sometimes, I still snuggle him, even though he's very long and very big.

Look at these pics of my two boys, taken last night:


No comments: