Friday, September 16, 2011

Week Thirty-Five

Week 35 of pregnancy: September 7-14, 2011

Symptoms: A few Braxton-Hicks, mostly when I stand up from bed or bend over quickly

I have won the battle against my raging heartburn! At my appointment last Friday, I got a prescription for Ranitidine (AKA Zantac), because my doctor thought that the amount of Tums I was eating could give me a kidney stone.

Anyway, since I've been taking this stuff, my heartburn has gone down considerably. Not disappeared, but instead of waking up 5-6 times a night and having to pop a Tums, I can sleep straight through. Do you know what a miracle it is to be able to sleep through the night at 35 weeks pregnant? A big one.

We had a little scare at that appointment. When the doctor went to listen to his heartbeat, she held the doppler on there for all of maybe 3 seconds before pulling it off and saying, "I want you to go over to labor & delivery." WHA? It took me a minute to comprehend that she had heard something troubling. She explained that Asher's heartbeat had slowed way down for a second, then come back up. I hadn't heard a thing... That's why they pay her the big bucks, I guess!

Anyway, I went over to the hospital and got checked in for my "non-stress test," which is basically just tracking baby's heart rate for 20 minutes. He did okay, but there were a few dips that made the nurses worried. They showed my doctor the strip, and she recommended another 30 minutes of monitoring. I watched some What Not To Wear, texted with Lindsey (I couldn't get a hold of Aaron, who was home with Declan.)

After that half hour, they showed my doctor again, and she said I could go home, and to rest assured that he was fine. She said he could have been playing with his cord. I stayed surprisingly calm through the whole ordeal - maybe because I could feel him kicking and rolling around like crazy the whole time.

My next appointment is a week from today, where I'll get checked, GBS swabbed, and get an ultrasound to determine approximate size and position. So let's all keep our fingers crossed for a soft cervix, and a head down, big-but-not-too-big baby!

There's also a whhhooooole other drama playing out in our lives right now, so I'm going to do a separate post on it (since it really has nothing to do with my pregnancy, except being a pain in my pregnant butt!)

No comments: